View Profile NickPerrin

19 Movie Reviews

Awesome.

I loved this.

Amazing animation, the facial expressions are priceless. It was just weird enough to be absolutely hilarious. All the characters are ridiculous and memorable.

Can't wait for more work from you guys!

Brilliant.

This is like "how is babby formed," but on crack. I was laughing the entire way through this. Excellent voice acting, great animation that just makes it oh-so-dramatic and hilarious, and of course you had some amazing real life source material to work with. Too bad it was deleted - but it inspired many to review in the same vein on that flash.

HILARIOUS

Hilarious.

Easily the best thing I've seen on NG in a long time. Watched pokemon religiously after school when I was a kid just like most people. This was HILARIOUS.

2 Game Reviews

Awesome!

Lots of fun and instantly playable. Good stuff!

Thanks for using my chiptune - this is exactly the kind of game it should be used in. I'd never put it to any actual game and I'm glad to see it feels like a good oldschool Shmup when it all comes together.

Cheers!

Excellent!

I am a huge Doom fan and modder, this is faithful to the original shareware. Well done.
While I'd rather play it on a new sourceport of some kind, the fact that I can now play it anywhere, anytime, is amazing. Kudos to that!

68 Audio Reviews

Why hello fellow 101% Run arranger.

Great work, nice arrangement with a fantastic atmosphere and full sound. Really has an earthy vibe which was a nice change from the more spacey feel of most of the album. Plus I'm always a duduk fan. The ending is very well executed. Lots of fun overall, and reminds me I should upload my HoaH arrangement here! Cheers.

Step responds:

Hello there fellow 101%er!

I'm glad you enjoyed it man, it feels great coming from you! The album does have quite a bit of a spacey feel in a lot of its submissions but it does have quite a lot of orchestral too! Darren takes full responsibility for that :3.

Oh god yes, duduks are incredible. I love them to bits, and I think they're my favourite woodwind instrument. The flute is my favourite standard woodwind instrument though.

Thanks for dropping by, man. Your arrangement is absolutely phenomenal and this reminds me that I haven't favourited you on Newgrounds yet. Shame on me!

Thanks again!

Love it. I don't currently have the time to write out a full a review, but you've got a fan. Good luck in the contest!

BTW, I've never heard of low volume being a symptom of a computer that isn't powerful. I have no idea how the two could possibly be connected in any technical situation ever. In any case, I really do like the dynamic range of this piece.

TaylorS responds:

I use Finale 2012 and Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. It seems that the whole thing is based off how much RAM your computer has and I can't seem to find a way to increase the volume without clipping occurring. I'm not very wise to the technical aspect of these audio programming so any advice would be appreciated.

Great work.

I enjoyed this one. Easily the best entry in the orchestral MAC contest so far. Of course, NG loves its big, obvious & overblown epic tracks more than thoughtful, slowly-developing and more challenging music, but at least you'll have my love if not the contest's. :)

Some thoughts - the orchestration seems a little flat. Perhaps this is just a case of difficulty making an accurately colourful mockup with virtual instruments, or the limitations of the smaller and fairly homogenous-sounding ensemble you've chosen, but the overall texture, while suitable for the melodic/motivic material, could use some variation - mainly if used as an entry for a contest that will highlight the idiomatic nature of ALL orchestral music.

The musical ideas themselves are obviously headed in an original direction, but sometimes fade into atmospherics in terms of interest, rather than always being fully engaging material (note: engaging doesn't always mean FAST/EPIC/STUPID/ETC to an experienced listener, so no need to sacrifice the mood you're aiming at). This is something I'm sure is just a matter of improving your craft over time, so I can't really give any advice on it.

Anyway as I said, I enjoyed it and listened fully through, keep up the good work!

I think I'll put something together for this contest too... see you around!

sinequanon responds:

hey nick, it's great to hear from you again. your points are well taken and merit considerate response.

on orchestration, I believe deeply that each musical conception must be realized uniquely to the expectation of its materials. in this piece I'm challenging listeners to experience not color, but nuance within color. with a sample library our means are limitless, but it would be dishonest given the dramatic arc of this particular piece to interrupt the relentless musical introspection with extraneous elements or instruments. I rarely hear consistency in the audio portal since it seems composers prefer indulgence, and in a sense this is a direct response to that.

this is contrary to most listener's expectation of a musical ROYGBIV as opposed to, say, seven shades of blue. it could be that I sabotage the piece's success by deliberately throwing a wrench into the standard conception of orchestration here, but ultimately I would rather educate or at least give pause than win.

that ties into the atmospheric element as well. this is meant to be listened to intensely, not passively engage the audience by working overtime (i.e., overdone brass sections and crazy percussion) to keep their interest. if you take note of and follow the musical elements (such as the mournful melody and all of the motives it contains, the unsettling tremolos embedded in the inner voices, the harmonically uncertain opening and its subsequent references - there are others) you'll find that nothing happens the same way twice - the materials are consistent, but their interaction is constantly evolving. to me, this is both atmosphere and constant interest, if I may also assume from the listener investment enough to profit from that understanding.

I don't mean to disagree - in a sense, you're absolutely right, and you capture and articulate a pervasive perspective. I appreciate reviews like these above all others. looking forward to your entry!

4 Art Reviews

Beautiful

Photorealistic, excellent blend of colours, wonderful.

Hahaha that is amazing.
How that Cthulhu keeps it lit underwater in R'lyeh is a mystery to me, but then again none of us are mad players like Cthulhu...

Very cool.

Lovecraft rules, and over the years many artists have rendered his hideous creatures in art. This appears to do him justice once again, and is really fitting into the style of the other Lovecraftian beasts.

I agree with the reviewer below that the feet may anatomically not work, however I like them anyway as I think their strange design adds an element to the creature hinting at "some unspeakable evil" as Lovecraft might put it... :D

"And it is only through complete, unswerving devotion to the perfect blending of form and substance; it is only through an unremitting never-discouraged care... that the light of magic suggestiveness may be brought to play for an evanescent instant..."

32, Male